Chapora Fort known as "Shahapura" was built by Adil Shah of Bijapur on the southern headland of the Chapora River. Later this citadel of red laterite, crowning the rocky projection was rebuilt by the Portuguese in1617 on the site of this earlier Muslim structure. It was built as a border watch post and later deserted by the Portuguese in 1892 as the empire continued to extend farther North, known as the New Conquests. This Fort is mostly in ruins now. The massive ramparts and the scattered Muslim tombstones are all that is left of Chapora Fort. It overlooks the beautiful Vagator beach and is close to Arjuna beach.
Abandoned since the 19th century, it is in complete ruins today though the view down the coastline infested with weeds looks wonderful.
Chapora Fort is an enchanting place worth to be visited. For information related to Chapora Fort Goa log on to GoaHub.com